Yoghurt

This week, I have been mostly eating home-made yoghurt, courtesy of the recipe in the Moro Cookbook.

The recipe calls for one litre of full-fat milk, 300ml of double cream and four tablespoons of live yoghurt (yes, you need yoghurt to make yoghurt, which begs chicken-and-egg type questions, but never mind that for the moment). I halved the quantities because the idea of getting through a kilo of yoghurt within a week sounded impossible, but now I’m started to wish I’d made the full quantity.

You boil the milk, and then simmer it until it’s reduced by about a third (which seems to take me about 20 to 30 minutes with the reduced amount). Then put it into a metal or ceramic bowl and stir in the cream. When it’s cool enough to hold your finger in for ten seconds, stir in the live yoghurt. Then cover with clingfilm and a tea-towel, and leave somewhere warm for about eight hours while the “friendly bacteria” do their thang.

The resulting lumpy white gloop is unlike any yoghurt I’ve eaten before: so rich and creamy tasting (a pox on all your “low fat” yoghurts). I can’t resist taking slurps of it out of the fridge. I took some camping this weekend, and toasted slices of cooking apple over the campfire to make burnt apple yoghurt (hmm). Gizmo likes it too, makes a great mixer with his dry food (and those bacteria are friendly to dogs too, apparently).

Yesterday I made a tarte tatin, from the recipe in Raymond Blanc’s Foolproof French Cookery. I was using up the remainder of the cooking apples which were in last week’s Beanies delivery (and they just sent us some: apple ideas gratefully received). Except we didn’t have quite enough, and as we have a glut of blackberries in our back garden and our allotment, I used them to fill the gaps. It was absolutely de-scrummy-licious (I was going to take a photo, as it looked pretty too, but it disappeared too soon). Except we didn’t have any of the recommended full-fat creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream to go with it, so we used the last of our extra-creamy home-made yoghurt instead. Which worked just as well. Except now we have none left to act as a starter for our next batch. Which means I have to go out and buy some more live yoghurt. Damn, what a waste.